First, you have to print the following exercises.
Then, you have to complete them using the worksheets used in class and the book.
Next Monday, 17th June, you have to give me these exercises perfectly completed, and you have to take the exam.
I hope you do it well. If not, you´ll have to take the exam in September and you´ll have to study all the book.
Study and BE RESPONSABLE.
1.- Answer the following questions about the Spanish kingdoms.
· What territories were there in the Iberian Peninsula?
· What happened in the Crown of Castile in the 15th century?
· What happened when king Henry IV died in 1474?
· What happened after five years of civil war in Castile?
· Which king of Aragon died in 1410 with no heirs?
· Who was named king of Aragón in 1412?
· Who were Ferdinand and Isabella?
· What happened in 1469?
· What happened in 1477?
· When did Fernando become king of Aragón?
· What was the consequence of the marriage between Ferdinand and Isabella?
· How did the Catholic Monarchs govern their territories?
· Who inherited the throne of Castile after Isabella´s death in 1504?
· What was the role of Ferdinand after Isabella´s death?
· Who took over Castile and Aragon Crowns in 1516?
2.- Complete the gaps with words on page 79.
When the War of _____________ ended in Castile, Ferdinand and Isabella set out to bring _____________ to their kingdoms. They created the _____________, a judicial police force, to fight against _____________ and the _____________ of the nobility. They also reorganised justice and strengthened the _____________, the highest _____________ body.
The Monarchs increased their _____________ over the cities. They appointed _____________, or chief magistrates, to establish _____________ in the towns. They strengthened the _____________ and took privileges _____________ from the nobles. They also created a permanent, professional _____________, which became one of the _____________ in Europe.
The Catholic Monarchs wanted _____________ for their kingdoms. In 1478, with the Pope´s permission, they founded the _____________ to prosecute heretics. The tribunal was known for its severe sentences and _____________. The next step was the _____________. By royal decree, all Jews had to _____________ to Christianity or _____________. Around 80,000 people left the country. The _____________, or converts, were persecuted by the _____________.
In 1512, a similar decree established the _____________, or Spanish Muslims. Muslims who converted to Christianity were called _____________.
Answer the following questions about the Revolt of Comuneros.
1. Where was Charles V born?
2. When did he came to Spain?
3. Could he speak Spanish?
4. Who helped him with the government? Where were they from?
5. What did he spend the Castilian money on?
6. What was the Castilians´ reaction?
7. Did Charles V anger just the Castilian cities?
8. Why were cities annoyed?
9. Why were the nobles annoyed?
10. What was the name given to the cities?
11. Who started the Revolt of the Comuneros?
12. Who supported the revolt?
13. What was the first city to rebel? When? Who was its leader?
14. How long were the rebels successful?
15. Why did the nobles fought against the rebels?
16. Where and when was the last battle fought?
17. Who won the battle?
18. Who were the leaders of the revolt? What happened to them?
19. What was Charles V attitude after the revolt?
20. What position did the nobles have in the government?
Find the word for the following definitions about the Spanish empire.
1. America was the starting point for expeditions to the _____________________.
2. Name of the institution which carried out trade with America._____________________
3. Conqueror of the Aztec Empire._____________________
4. He discovered the Amazon._____________________
5. The discovery of this things helped the king to finance their empire._____________________
6. They performed manual work, largely in agriculture.
7. People who occupied the highest positions in society in the Indies._____________________
8. Charles V created the _____________________ of Indies to advise the king on matters of government.
9. Division of the conquered territory, such as New Spain and Peru. _____________________
10. Surname of the conqueror of the Inca Empire._____________________
11. Lands used for stockbreeding and agriculture in America._____________________
12. They were slaves brought from Africa to do the hardest work, and they had no rights at all._____________________
13. The children of Spanish men and Native American women, and occupied the second highest positions in society.
Define the following concepts and give an example:
- Metropolitan area:
Match the following sentences about cities in developed countries:
1.- Cities in North America and Canada
2.- They were planned and, thus,
3.- The city centre is the Central Business District
4.- European cities
5.- The city centre is the older part and
6.- The layout of the city centre is normally
7.- The CBD in European cities is located in the city centre, together
8.- In all parts of the developed world,
9.- In North America, over 80% of the population10.- The main problems in cities in developed countries are
a.- Lives in the suburbs.
b.- Are not very old.
c.- High housing prices, traffic, pollution, crime and poverty.
d.- (CBD), which is modern and dominated by skyscrapers.
e.- Is where most of the historic monuments are located.
f.- Were built to a grid plan.
g.- Irregular because it was not built following a plan.
h.- Are much older.
i.- The outskirts of the cities are growing.
j.- With many old refurbished buildings used for housing.