2.- The European Union: origin and history
1.- Read the text on page 27 and answer the following questions
• What were the consecuences of World War II (1939-1945) in Europe?
• Which states emerged as superpowers after the war? What happened with them?
• What was European countries´ reaction in this context?
• What were the objectives of European countries?
• What happened in 1951?
• Which countries composed the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC)?
• What were the objectives of the ECSC?
• When was the Treaty of Rome sign? Which countries signed it?
• Which organization appeared with the Treaty of Rome?
• What treaty was signed in 1993? What organization was born with it?
• What happened in 2004?
• What was the result of having amended the European Constitution?
• What are the aims of the EU?
2.- What were the objectives of the Treaty of Rome?
3.- Do activity 1 on page 28