6.- What are cities in developing countries like?
Study the diagram of Lima and answer the following questions:
· Where are there colonial buildings? IN THE PLAZA MAYOR (MAIN SQUARE)
· Where do the wealthiest people live? IN THE MOST MODERN AND ELEGANT NEIGHBOURHOODS.
· What economic activities can we find near the most modern neighbouthoods? THE HEAD OFFICES OF THE LARGEST BANKS AND COMPANIES IN THE COUNTRY.
· How many people live in Lima´s metropolitan area? A TOTAL OF 8.78 MILLION PEOPLE.
· In which two places do the poorest people live? IN SHANTY TOWNS ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF THE CITY AND IN SLUMS IN THE CENTRE.
7.- What are cities in developed countries like?
Study the diagram of New York, USA on page 143 and answer the following questions:
· In what kind of buildings do people in the suburbs live? IN HOUSES.
· Where are the dwellings located in the suburbs? ON WIDE AVENUES NEAR MAIN BOULEVARDS.
· What kind of houses can we find near the business centre? Who live there? MANY LUXURY APARTMENT BUILDINGS. WEALTHY PEOPLE WHO WORK IN THE CENTRE.
· What is the business centre? IT IS THE HEART OF THE CITY. IT IS THE CENTRE OF FINANCE AND BUSINESS.
· What ancient activities used to occupy the centre? FACTORIES.
· What kind of buildings replaced them? SKYSCRAPERS, HOTELS AND STORES.
· How is traffic in the city centre? INTENSE.
· How many ethnic groups live together in the city? MORE THAN ONE HUNDRED.
· Name some famous ethnic neighbourhoods in New York. LITTLE ITALY, CHINATOWN, AND LITTLE KOREA.
· What are ghettoes? ARE POORER AREAS IN THE CENTRE.
· What kind of people lives in ghettoes? PEOPLE OF THE SAME RACE WITH LIMITED ECONOMIC RESOURCES.
· What fatal incidents happen in the ghettoes? THESE AREAS OFTEN HAVE HIGH CRIME RATES.