4.- What was the role of craftsmen?
1.- Answer the following questions
- What was the consequence of the growth of population?
- What kind of craftsmen appeared?
- How did craftsmen do their products?
- Where did craftsmen work?
- Where were their workshops located?
- Where were the products sold?
- Where did craftsmen of the same profession live?
- What were the names of some streets?
- Study the illustration of a wealthy tailor´s home and workshop on page 34.
WEAVER - MAKING CLOTH
COOPER - MAKING AND REPARING BARRELS
BLACKSMITH - MAKING OBJECTS OUT OF METAL, ESPECIALLY IRON
BAKER - MAKING BREAD
DYER - DYING CLOTHS
CARPENTER - MAKING AND REPAIRING WOODEN OBJECTS
3.- What were the categories of craftsmen?
|MASTER CRAFTSMEN||THEY OWNED THE WORKSHOPS, THE TOOLS AND THE RAW MATERIALS.|
THEY RAN AND CONTROLLED THE GUILDS.
|JOURNEYMEN||SKILLED CRAFTSMEN WHO RECEIVED WAGES.|
|APPRENTICES||THEY WERE YOUNG MEN WHO WANTED TO LEARN A TRADE.|
THEY LIVED IN THEIR MASTER´S HOUSE AND WORKED FOR HIM FOR SEVERAL YEARS.
THEY DID NOT PAY ANY PAYMENT.
- What was a guild?
- How was a guild ruled?
- What were the functions of a guild?
- Could a trader work if he didn´t belong to a guild? Why?