1.- Who was Charles V?
- What happened in the succession of the Castilian Crown after Isabella´s death in 1504?
- THE LEGAL SUCCESSOR TO THE THRONE WAS JOANNA THE MAD. AS SHE WAS CONSIDERED INCAPABLE OF RULING, FERDINAND OF ARAGÓN TOOK OVER UNTIL HIS DEATH IN 1516. FINALLY, CHARLES I INHERITED THE THRONE AFTER FERDINAND´S DEATH.
- Which territories did Charles I inherit as king? Who did he inherit these territories from?
- THE CROWNS OF CASTILE AND ARAGÓN, AND TERRITORIES IN AMERICA, ITALY, THE MEDITERRANEAN AND AFRICA. (Please, look at the map on page 95)
- What territories did Charles V inherit as Holy Roman Emperor? Who did he inherit these territories from?
- GERMANY, THE LOW COUNTRIES AND FRANCE.
2.- The Revolt of the Comuneros
- Where was Charles V born)? IN FLANDERS
2. When did he came to Spain? HE CAME TO SPAIN IN 1516
3. Could he speak Spanish? NO, HE HARDLY SPOKE SPANISH.
4. Who helped him with the government? Where were they from? MANY FLEMISH NOBLEMEN. THEY WERE FROM FLANDERS.
5. What did he spend the Castilian money on? HE SPENT LARGE AMOUNTS OF CASTILIAN MONEY ON BECOMING HOLY ROMAN EMPEROR.
6. What was the Castilians´ reaction? THIS ANGERED THE CASTILIAN AND LED TO THE REVOLT OF COMUNEROS.
7. Did Charles V angered both Castilian cities and Castilian nobles? YES, HE DID.
8. Why were the cities annoyed? BECAUSE OF THE NEW TAXES WHICH THE URBAN BOURGEOISIE HAD TO PAY.
9. Why were the nobles annoyed? BECAUSE THE KING GAVE THE MOST IMPORTANT GOVERNMENT POSITIONS TO FOREIGNERS.
10. What was the name given to the cities? COMUNIDADES DE VILLA Y TIERRA.
11. Who started the Revolt of the Comuneros? THE CITIES.
12. Who supported the revolt initially? IT WAS INITIALLY SUPPORTED BY THE NOBLES.
13. What was the first city to rebel? Who was its leader? When did it happen? TOLEDO, LED BY JUAN DE PADILLA, WAS THE FIRST CITY TO REBEL, IN 1520.
14. How long were the rebels successful? THE REBELS WERE SUCCESSFUL DURING THE FIRST MONTHS OF THE REVOLT.
15. Why did the nobles fought against the rebels? BECAUSE THEY CAME TO AN AGREEMENT WITH THE KING.
16. Where and when was the last battle fought? THE LAST BATTLE WAS FOUGHT IN VILLALAR (VALLADOLID) IN 1521.
17. Who won the battle? THE KING WAS VICTORIOUS.
18. Who were the leaders of the revolt? What happened to them? PADILLA, BRAVO Y MALDONADO. THEY WERE EXECUTED.
19. What was Charles V´s attitude after the revolt? HE PAID MORE ATTENTION TO CASTILE AND ALSO SPENT MORE TIME THERE. HE GOT MARRIED AND RAISED HIS SON AT THE SPANISH COURT.
20. Who was his son and where was he raised? PHILIP II. HE WAS RAISED AT THE SPANISH COURT.
21. What position did the nobles have in the government? THEY HAD TO HIGHEST GOVERNMENT POSTS AND THEY HELPED HIM IN HIS MILITARY EXPEDITIONS ABROAD.
22. Which feast do we celebrate in Castilla y León on the 23rd April? THE REVOLT OF THE COMUNEROS.
6.- HOW DID SPAIN ORGANIZE ITS EMPIRE IN THE NEW WORLD?
6.- HERNÁN CORTÉS
2ºESO: WHY DID SPAIN LOSE ITS SUPREMACY?
· What happened in Spain in the 17th century related to the economic and social situation?
· SPAIN HAD SERIOUS INTERNAL PROBLEMS AND MANY CONFLICTS WITH OTHER POWERS. IN A FEW DECADES, SPAIN LOST ITS SUPREMACY IN EUROPE AND SUFFERED A SERIOUS ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CRISIS.
· Who succeeded Philip II in 1598?
· HIS SON, PHILIP III.
· Who was the Duke of Lerma?
· HE WAS PHILIP III´S FAVOURITE. HE RUN THE GOVERNMENT INSTEAD OF THE KING.
· Explain Philip III´s pacifist foreign policy.
· HE SIGNED A PEACY TREATY WITH ENGLAND IN 1604
· HE SIGNED THE TWELVE YEARS´ TRUCE WITH THE UNITED PROVINCES IN 1609
· Why did Philip III declared bankruptcy in 1607?
· BECAUSE A LOT OF MONEY WAS SPENT ON MAINTAINING THE COURT, AND ON PENSIONS FOR NOBLES.
· What was the most important event in Philip III´s domestic policy? Explain it.
· IT WAS THE EXPUSION OF THE MORISCOS IN 1609. IT WAS A TRAGEDY BECAUSE ALMOS 300.000 PEOPLE HAD TO ABANDON THEIR HOUSES, AND DEPOPULATION RUINED MANY REGIONS.