The Lutheran Reformation
- What did the Pope Leo X do in 1515? HE GRANTED INDULGENCES TO PEOPLE WHO HELPED TO FINANCE THE CONSTURCTION OF ST. PETER´S BASILICA.
- Who was Martin Luther? HE WAS A GERMAN MONK.
- What did Martin Luther write? What did he say there? HE WROTE 95 THESES IN WHICH HE STRONGLY CRITICISED THE POPE.
- Did he recant of what he wrote? NO, HE DIDN´T.
- What did the pope do with Martin Luther then? THE POPE EXCOMMUNICATED.
- What is the name of the religious movement created by Martin Luther? LUTHERANISM.
- Why were the Lutherans called Protestants? BECAUSE THEY PROTESTED AGAINTS CHARLES V´S POLICY.
Expansion of the Reformation
- Where did the Lutheranism spread? THROUGH GERMANY.
- Who took profit of this new religious movement? Why? THE GERMAN NOBLES SAW IT AS A CHANCE TO TAKE LANDS AWAY FROM THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND OPPOSE CHARLES V, WHO SUPPORTED THE POPE.
- What religious movement was found by John Calvin? CALVINISM.
- What is the theory of predestination about? PEOLE ARE CONDEMNED OR SAVED BEFORE THEY ARE BORN.
- Where did Calvinism begin? IT BEGAN IN GENEVA.
- Where did Calvinism spread in Europe? IT SPREAD TROUGH THE LOW COUNTRIES, SOME REGIONS OF FRANCE AND THE BRITISH ISLES.
- What is the name of the church created by Henry VIII of England? ANGLICAN CHURCH.
- Why did Henry VIII of England create his own church? IN 1534
- Who would be the head of this church instead the Pope? THE KING.
True or false. Correct the false information
- At the end of the Middle Ages, the Catholic Church received criticism for different reasons, some of them related to money.
- Martin Luther helped to build St. Peter´s Basilica. FALSE. NO, HE DIDN´T. HE CRITICISED THE INDULGENCES THAT POPE LEO X GRANTED TO PEOPLE TO FINANCE THE CONSTRUCTION OF ST. PETER´S BASILICA.
- Lutheranism led to the appearance of other religious movements in Europe. TRUE.
- According to the idea of predestination, your actions during your life determine whether you are condemned or saved when you die. FALSE. YOU ARE CONDEMNED OR SAVED BEFORE YOU ARE BORN.
- Henry VIII wanted to behead his wife, Catherine of Aragon. FALSE. HE WANTED TO DIVORECE HER TO MARRY ANA BOLENA, BUT THE POPE WOULDN´T GRANT HIM A DIVORCE AND HE DECIDED TO CREATE HIS OWN CHURCH.
9.- What was the Counter-Reformation?
- What is the counter-Reformation? IT WAS A REFORM MOVEMENT IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.
- What was its goal? ITS GOAL WAS TO STOP THE PROTESTANT MOVEMENT AND IMPROVE CONDITIONS IN THE CHURCH.
- What important event took place in 1545? THE COUNCIL OF TRENT.
- What were two of the resolutions adopted in that event?
- . NEW WAYS OF SPREADING CATHOLICISM WERE CREATED, SUCH AS CATECHISM AND NEW SCHOOLS.
- . NEW RELIGIOUS ORDERS WERE FOUNDED TO CARRY OUT THE RESOLUTIONS OF TRENT AND OTHER ORDERS WERE REFORMED.
- Who founded the Society of Jesus? SAINT IGNATIUS OF LOYOLA.
- What was the Society of Jesus created for? TO SUPPORT THE POPE DURING THE COUNTER-REFORMATION.
Consequences of religious change
- What two religious movements divided Europe in the 16th century? PROTESTANTS AND CATHOLICS.
- What were the consequences of this division? LONG A VIOLENT RELIGIOUS WARS IN MUCH OF EUROPE, WHICH LASTED MORE THAN A CENTURY, AND INTOLERANCE WAS WIDESPREAD IN EUROPE.
- What happened in Catholic countries? PROTESTANTS WERE PERSECUTED.
- What happened in Protestant countries? CATHOLICS WERE PERSECUTED.
- What happened to books and any scientific activity which contradicted religious dogma? THEY WERE BANNED.
- What did the Inquisition do in Spain?
- . IT PERSECUTED THOSE WHO FAILED TO FOLLOW CATHOLIC DOGMA.
- . LISTS OF PROHIBITED BOOKS WERE PUBLISHED.
- . PEOPLE WHO HAD NON-CHRISTIAN ANCESTORS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO HOLD CERTAIN POSTS.